Conover, North Carolina
"Wye Town", "Canova", “C-Town”
"Community and Industry"
|• Mayor||Kyle Hayman|
|• City Manager||Tom Hart|
|• Total||11.20 sq mi (29.01 km2)|
|• Land||11.17 sq mi (28.93 km2)|
|• Water||0.03 sq mi (0.08 km2)|
|Elevation||1,020 ft (310 m)|
|• Density||753.83/sq mi (291.05/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC−5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC−4 (EDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||2404118|
Conover is a city in Catawba County, North Carolina, United States. The population was 8,421 as of the 2020 census. It is part of the Hickory–Lenoir–Morganton Metropolitan Statistical Area and Charlotte Metropolitan Area.
The City of Conover began to develop in the mid-1800s as a “Y” intersection of the railroad traversing North Carolina. Although originally called Wye Town, legend says the name "Canova" was adopted, but transposed to Conover over several years. The City of Conover was chartered in 1876 and incorporated in 1877.
Conover is located in the geographic center, as well as the population center, of Catawba County and is bordered by the City of Hickory to the west, the City of Newton to the south, and the City of Claremont to the east. Interstate 40 traverses Conover, with access from four major exits (128, 130, 132, and 133). U.S. Route 70, U.S. Route 321, and North Carolina Highway 16 all pass through Conover, making Conover one of the most easily accessible cities in the Charlotte Metro Region.
|U.S. Decennial Census|
|Black or African American (non-Hispanic)||721||8.56%|
|Hispanic or Latino||1,181||14.02%|
As of the 2020 United States census, there were 8,421 people, 3,346 households, and 2,265 families residing in the city.
As of the 2010 census there were 8,165 people, 3,368 households, and 2,182 families residing in the city. The population density was 738.1 inhabitants per square mile (285.0/km2). There were 3,654 housing units at an average density of 328.5 per square mile (126.8/km2). The racial makeup of the city was 78.1% White, 9.2% African American, 0.2% Native American, 4.2% Asian, 5.8% from other races, and 2.5% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 12.2% of the population.
There were 3,654 households, out of which 30.1% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 47.1% were married couples living together, 12.2% had a female householder with no husband present, and 35.2% were non-families. 30.6% of all households were made up of individuals, and 13.2% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.39 and the average family size was 2.96.
The Conover Public Works Department provides Water, Street Construction, Maintenance and Repair, Storm Water Management, Solid Waste and Recycling, Water Treatment, Grounds and Parks and Fleet Maintenance services to the residents of Conover.
The Conover Fire Department provides Fire Suppression, Emergency Medical Services, Hazardous Materials (HAZMAT) Mitigation, Technical Rescues, Public Education, and Fire Prevention and Inspection with 18 full-time and 40 part-time/volunteer firefighters operating out of three fire stations.
The Conover Police Department is staffed by 27 full-time officers, 1 Code Enforcement officer, 5 part-time employees, and 5 volunteer police chaplains.
Emergency Medical Services
Emergency Medical Services for the City of Conover are provided by CCEMS, the Catawba County EMS Agency.
Conover is located in the western piedmont area of North Carolina. Conover is located 43 miles (69 km) northwest of Charlotte, 63 miles (101 km) west of Winston-Salem, and 83 miles (134 km) east of Asheville.
- Greenway Bus Transportation (main office located in Conover)
Parks and recreation
Conover is home of the Rock Barn Country Club and Spa, a golf club with two championship 18-hole courses and spa that was home to the Greater Hickory Classic at Rock Barn, a PGA Champions Tour Event.
Conover has nine meighborhood parks and one greenway:
- Downtown Park - 1.97 acres (0.80 ha), with gazebo, walking trails and playground equipment.
- Gateway Park - a linear park that provides a pedestrian/bicycle link into downtown.
- Hines Park - located in the ConWest Business Park, the park and its gazebo are mainly used by employees of nearby businesses.
- Hunsucker Park - located in the largest neighborhood in the city, Lecho Park, the park occupies 1.13 acres (0.46 ha) and contains playground equipment.
- 'Majestic Park - located in the southwest quadrant of the city, the park occupies 3.92 acres (1.59 ha) and contains recreation equipment.
- Rowe Park - the smallest of the city's parks, it contains a gazebo, picnic table, and a swing set.
- Travis Park - Located in the northwest quadrant of the city, the park contains benches, a picnic table and recreation equipment.
- Washington/Southwest Park - 2.21 acres (0.89 ha), the park includes a basketball court and baseball field, along with recreation equipment.
- Conover City Park - 6.75 acres (2.73 ha), with a picnic area, playground equipment, walking trails, splash pad and wetlands.
- Lyle Creek Greenway - a 1.5 mile long enhanced surface natural trail that follows Lyle Creek and provides great relaxation and wildlife viewing. This trail consists of both wooded areas and open fields.
- Shuford Elementary School (Newton-Conover City Schools)
- South Newton Elementary School (Newton-Conover City Schools)
- North Newton Elementary School (Newton-Conover City Schools)
- Conover School (Newton-Conover City Schools)
- Lyle Creek Elementary School (Catawba County Schools)
- St. Stephens Elementary School (Catawba County Schools)
- Newton-Conover Middle School (Newton-Conover City Schools)
- Concordia Christian Day School (K–8)
NASCAR in Conover
- Mark K. Hilton – member of the North Carolina General Assembly from 2001 to 2013
- Tommy Houston – NASCAR Cup Series and Xfinity Series driver
- W. Stine Isenhower – member of the North Carolina House of Representatives from 1986 to 1992
- Dale Jarrett – NASCAR Cup Series champion, three-time Daytona 500 champion, and 2014 NASCAR Hall of Fame inductee
- Glenn Jarrett – NASCAR Cup Series and Xfinity Series driver
- Jason Jarrett – NASCAR Cup Series and Xfinity Series driver
- Ned Jarrett – two-time NASCAR champion and 2011 NASCAR Hall of Fame inductee
- Robert Kearns – bassist who has played with several notable bands
- Morgan Shepherd – NASCAR Cup Series driver and NASCAR team owner
- Chris Washburn – NBA player
- "ArcGIS REST Services Directory". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved September 20, 2022.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Conover, North Carolina
- "U.S. Census website". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved January 31, 2008.
- "Quick Facts, Conover city, North Carolina". United States Census Bureau. 2021. Retrieved January 1, 2022.[dead link]
- "About Our Community". Retrieved May 12, 2018.
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. July 9, 2010.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Conover city, North Carolina". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Archived from the original on February 12, 2020. Retrieved December 26, 2014.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "Explore Census Data". data.census.gov. Retrieved December 21, 2021.
- Data Access and Dissemination Systems (DADS). "American FactFinder - Results". census.gov. Archived from the original on May 21, 2019. Retrieved August 27, 2015.
- "Services Provided". www.conovernc.gov.
- "Fire Department". www.conovernc.gov.
- "Police Department". www.conovernc.gov.
- "Catawba County Government - Catawba County North Carolina".
- "Greenway - Contact Us". mygreenway.org. Retrieved August 27, 2015.
- "Inside the course: Rock Barn Golf & Spa". PGA Tour. Archived from the original on September 13, 2008.
- "City Parks - City of Conover". govoffice2.com. Retrieved August 27, 2015.
- "Newton-Conover City Schools". www.newton-conover.org. Retrieved May 12, 2018.
- "Catawba County Schools / Homepage". www.catawbaschools.net. Retrieved May 12, 2018.
- "NNASCAR Drivers, Race Standings & News". nascar.com. Retrieved August 27, 2015.
- "Dale Jarrett Inc in Newton, North Carolina with Reviews & Ratings - YP.com". yellowpages.com. Retrieved August 27, 2015.
- "Contact". Morgan Shepherd. Archived from the original on September 5, 2015. Retrieved August 27, 2015.
- Walter Stine Isenhower. ncgenweb.us. Retrieved July 19, 2020.
- Robert Kearns - Washburn Guitars. Retrieved July 19, 2020.